Meet The Team
Founder & Director
After experiencing different clinical environments such as professional sports, acute NHS work and working with complex needs clients. I saw there was potential to use my expertise in a neurological and complex needs setting by developing the traditional rehabilitation model. My approach is to utilise goal orientated transparent rehabilitation that is innovative, using biomechanics to enhance the client’s recovery process along with a combination of clinically led, research-based, hands-on physiotherapy techniques.
Education and Qualifications
The University of Birmingham (2014 -2017)
- MSc in Physiotherapy and Exercise medicine
York St John University (2009 – 2012)
- BSc in Physiotherapy
All Saints High School
- A levels: Biology; Chemistry; Sports Studies; Psychology
- 10 GCSEs
Physiotherapy Employment History
Director of Flex Health
September 2015 – Current
I am the co-founder and director of Flex Health: a pioneering provider of specialist Physiotherapy and Neurological Physiotherapy in Hull, York and the surrounding areas.
At Flex Health, our elite, functional care supports clients in the most crucial stages of healing to enhance optimum rehabilitation. Our aim is to reduce treatment time and in turn, reduce the impact that an injury may have upon a person’s overall quality of life. This patient / client-centred approach has seen Flex Health’s reputation grow exponentially since forming in 2015, and our MDT of nine clinicians now oversees 225 clients per week.
Over my time as a Physiotherapist, I have developed an extensive knowledge of assessment techniques, treatment methods and biomechanical screening: how manipulating and strengthening the body can drastically enhance everyday function. I have extensive knowledge in treating neurological disorders using a variety of treatment techniques. Professionally we have had great feedback from existing and present clients who have seen excellent functional results from the treatment pathways we use.
The approach to neurological rehabilitation at Flex Health is innovative, using biomechanics to enhance the client’s recovery process along with a combination of clinically led, research-based, hands-on physiotherapy techniques. I presently support clients with a range of complex conditions including catastrophic incident, stroke, cerebral palsy, and acquired and/or traumatic brain injury and each patient receives a rehabilitation plan that is tailored to their individual needs.
My priority is to maximise independence and mobility with the overall goal of improving a client’s health, well being and quality of life. This functional approach sees recovery time reduce drastically and has established Flex Health’s reputation as one of the leaders in the field of Neuro Physiotherapy in the region. Flex Health operates in both Hull and York and the surrounding area.
Head Academy Physiotherapist / First Team Physiotherapist – Hull City Football Club
June 2014 – April 2017
After obtaining a promotion from Development Squad Physiotherapist to Head Academy Physiotherapist, I took the role to oversee the medical responsibility for players ranging from the under 21 squad to the under 9 squad. My position involved the medical management of all the players within the academy structure. Within the first year, I had to progress the medical department from a category three department to a category two department in line with the elite player performance plan (EPPP). This involved the development of individual medical programs for all players focusing on injury prevention strategies and training load-monitoring systems to predict injury risk.
- The medical management of 160 football players within the Academy.
- The management of 3 full time Physiotherapy staff and 7 part-time Physiotherapy staff.
- Organising the care pathway for the club affiliated Doctor to assess and treat players.
- Contribute to the management team at Hull FC Academy.
- Monthly injury audits.
- Planning and implementing the return to training guide for all injured players at the academy.
- Training and overseeing student placement opportunities with the local Universities.
- Liaising with the first team medical staff regarding player management.
- Lecturing at Hull and York St John University.
- Implementing pre-rehabilitation plans for all players in the Academy.
- Devising and implementing emergency action plans for all venues at the Academy.
Development Squad Physiotherapist – Hull City Football Club
- The diagnosis and treatment of the development squad players. Devised and implemented individual and group rehabilitation sessions for injury prevention.
- Responsible for the rehabilitation of long-term injuries for the development squad, organising appointments with leading consultants, escorting players of varying ages to diagnostic scans.
- For the duration of the season, I completed pitch side management for the development squad matches, having in place the correct medical provision and protocols, liaising with doctors and paramedics.
- Solely responsible for keeping an updated FA ‘whereabouts’ system for all the development squad, ensuring I know their location at all times and monitoring their medication intake.
- Completed literature reviews and devised rehabilitation protocols from incidence to return to play.
- Had the opportunity to educate and communicate with sports rehab students on placement with the medical department as well as having the privilege of leading lectures at Hull University on the treatment protocol of injured players at Hull FC.
- Working with a wider multi-disciplinary base, I was responsible for organising and arranging podiatry visits with the first and development squad players.
Full time Development Squad Physiotherapist Intern – Hull City Football Club
- The medical management of the development squad.
- The progression of pre-rehabilitation programs.
- Updating the doping system for players.
- Learning and understanding new treatment techniques.
- Developing my manual handling skills in line with elite sport.
- Developing my differential diagnostic assessments.
Leyton Orient Football Club
- Hands on experience with first team football players, planning and delivering treatment sessions, liaising with the strength and conditioning coaches
- Responsible for the overall well being of the players.
- Responsible for soft tissue massage of first team players.
Professional Development Courses
- Defibrillation and resuscitation refresher course February 2012.
- Advanced Training techniques with functional equipment October 2012.
- Introduction to taping and strapping in sports- Steve Bailey July 2012.
- Taping course 2013.
- Cefar Compex application and treatment use 2014
- Lee Herrington ACL class 2015.
- REPS level 3 personal trainer 2015.
- Football Association AREA trained for the past 3 years.
- Was on the EPPP advisory board for the medical development for the Premier and Football league.
- Isokinetics course 2015.
- MSc Qualification 2014-2017.
- Acupuncture course 2016.
- UKABIF course 2018.
- Epilepsy course 2019
Other Clinical Experience
Huddersfield MSK department.
Pontefract Orthopaedic elective department.
Pinderfields Hospital Spinal injuries rehabilitation.
Stroke Rehabilitation ward, Huddersfield Hospital.
Director Flex Health
Hull City Academy Manager
Founder & Director
Following seven years full time experience in professional sports medicine I have developed an extensive knowledge of rehabilitation and manual therapy techniques and how to apply these optimally. Working with athletes on a daily basis has allowed me to understand the importance of regular access to Physiotherapy to ensure an optimum recovery and a return to healthy and active lifestyle.
In April 2018, I joined the Flex Health team, where I offer specialist treatment for musculoskeletal patients throughout their therapy. Thoughtful planning is key to my practice, and when creating rehabilitation plans for a client I am always mindful of their specific needs.
Since joining the team at Flex, I have been working as a Neurological clinician. During this time, I have been providing exercise rehabilitation to maximise independence and mobility for our Flex Neuro patients. I always ensure that each session is adapted to the individual as I understand that person-centred treatment is key to an effective rehabilitation programme. Neurological rehab can be very demanding for the patient, and I always try to go above and beyond to ensure that my clients are receiving the best treatment possible.
I first discovered my passion for helping people achieve a better quality of life during my time working with a male suffering from profound and multiple learning disabilities (PMLD). This, coupled with my love of sport, led me to pursue a career where I am able to combine the two and provide a similar type of care.
Steve has been working at Flex Health since 2015. Steve has previously worked in professional academy football and has developed into an experienced member of the Flex team supervising students and assisting colleagues, developing an interest in complex neuro-musculoskeletal conditions. Steve’s clinical experience involves the management of common and complex musculoskeletal injuries, as well as a growing neurological patient caseload.
I have experience working with a range of ages, injuries and neurological conditions. This has expanded my knowledge and understanding of the different levels of function associated with the conditions that we treat and support at Flex. Each client I work with receives a specific and effective exercise plan which is created with their individual needs in mind.
Holly Walton – Wallace
MSK/ Neuro clinicain
I graduated from Hull University in 2019, I have gained vast experience and worked for a year as a student with Flex before I commenced my Physiotherapy apprenticeship at Sheffield Hallam University.
I recently joined the team at Flex Health having previously worked as a Pastoral Manager at an East Riding of Yorkshire secondary school for 14 years. Along with a vast experience of working with young people, their families and external agencies. From a young age I have participated in several sports and represented Yorkshire at both junior and senior level at Judo. I am also an ex karate instructor and 2nd Dan black belt.
Flex Health Hull
4B Newland Science Park
01482 966 006
Flex Health York
01904 390 901